Are deer antlers safe for dogs to chew on? - Dr. Marty Becker
I showed the pups with antlers. A number of people posted comments asking about whether antlers are safe for dogs.
A second question that came to light was what about elk antlers for dogs? are they potentially unsafe as well? Since I have never purchased any kind of antler for my dogs I wasn’t too sure. I went back to the original emails I received and conducted a little bit of internet research.
There are countless products out there made for dogs who love to chew. From rope toys, to bully sticks, to rawhides, the collection of available chew toys is nearly overwhelming. You may be wondering which of these chews are best suited for your pet. In our opinion, antler chews are among the best choices for pets when it comes to both health benefits and safety factors.
Are Elk Antler Chews Safe for Dogs to Chew? | Wapiti Labs, Inc
Dec 27, 2011 - So, are antlers for dogs safe
Excessively hard chew toys are a common cause of broken teeth in dogs. A broken tooth is extremely painful and can sometimes become abscessed. I believe that hard plastic or nylon chews, sterilized bones, cow hooves and antlers are too hard to be safe for most dogs. Rule of paw: don’t buy any chew toy that you wouldn’t want to be whacked in the knee with.Natural Benefits and Beyond Although Made in the USA does not necessarily mean the product is natural, consumers who shop for natural chews often seek domestically made and sourced dog chews. Carol Plescia, owner of Acadia Antlers in Ramsey, N.J., says dog owners are aware that Chinese-made jerky and rawhide chews can contain formaldehyde and other dangerous chemicals. “The problems coming out of China are very serious to people with dogs,” she says. “The more exposure of the repercussions, the more people want to investigate what is safe and healthy for their dogs.”Antlers are 100 percent organic and -- in their natural state -- do not contain any substances hazardous or poisonous to dogs. Since antlers are made of bone, they are just as safe for your dog to eat as any other type of animal bone.Recently, as antler dog chews become more popular, antler is getting more scarce. Antler chew sellers are popping up all over and they are looking to sell the cheaper, low grade antler to make more profit. Beware of these antlers which are old, brittle and can crack and splinter when chewed. I was even told by one of these sellers “It doesn’t matter, dogs are indestructible!”. Of course, we disagree and continue to strive to find the highest quality antler because it makes much safer and enjoyable chew. BARF purchases fresh, grade A antler from USA sources only and that is then carefully cleaned and cut for your precious dogs to enjoy. AVOID PURCHASING ANTLERS AT RETAILERS AS THE SOURCE IS NOT ALWAYS PROVIDED, NOR IS THE QUALITY.