HIGH FAT & LOW PROTEIN? - Food & Nutrition Forum - Dogster
Today, most experts recommend dog foods for seniors that are higher in protein content (but also lower in fat, carbs and calories).
It is only $59.99 in Prime. It is a formula to provide high-quality nutrition for all breeds and life stages. It can help to systematically specify your dog’s source of carbohydrates and protein. It also maintains the digestive system. It is rich in potassium and highly digestible energy source. One of the ingredients of this food is salmon. It provides amino acids that help in maintaining a strong muscle with a healthy and shiny fur. It has a balanced omega 3 and omega 6 with fatty acids which helps to maintain a healthy skin. There are no artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. Your dog will surely love this low protein food with these premium quality ingredients.
Darwin’s raw offers high-protein, gluten-free and grain-free food. 75% of the food is real meat, grass-fed beef or cage-free poultry. The remaining 25% is vegetables (organic vegetables in the premium Natural Selections meals). Our meals come in single meat meals: beef, chicken, duck and turkey – all a balanced combination of high-protein, moderate fat, and low carbohydrates to match the ancestral diet of dogs and meet their full nutritional needs.
High Protein, Low Fat and Carbs Dry Food List - Dog Food Advisor
Low Protein Dog Foods - Dog Food Advisor
One of the longstanding myths about senior diets is that they should be lower in protein than diets of younger pets. In fact, the average senior dog food is markedly higher in carb content and lower in protein and fat than non-senior formulations. The question remains, is this a valid and appropriate dietary change or not. I think not.If you look for foods that have more meat protein, they will generally have fewer carbohydrates, no matter the source of the carbs – whether it is peas and lentils, potatoes, or grains. However, many high protein dog foods are also high in fat. While fat is not all bad, especially for very active working dogs, it’s not good to see too much fat in a diet for most of our couch potato pets. If your dog is overweight or if he has problems digesting fat, look for dog foods that have slightly less fat but are still high in protein. You don’t have to choose a low calorie or weight control dog food. Just check the fat percentages (DMB) and opt for a food that has slightly less fat. Many people like Wellness CORE because it has slightly less fat while still providing high protein. In general, look for a dog food that has twice the protein percentage as the fat percentage.We now know that ample amounts of high quality, digestible proteins are exactly what senior dogs need. Unfortunately, most senior diet foods are still marketed as appropriate for seniors, yet are low in protein and fat and high in carbs.Depending on the degree of the medical concerns you may need to home cook to manage both concerns. Any “over the counter” food will have a phos level higher then recommended for kidney insufficiency. Has your vet looked at the other companies kidney diets to see if they are appropriate? Hills G/D could be an option. It is geared for early kidney insufficiency but has a lower fat level than the K/D formula. (I’ assuming your dog was on K/D and not RD as R/D is a food with low fat high protein for weight loss.) Iams’ renal is higher protein than G/D but also lower fat. Good Luck