My dog swallowed a large chunk of rawhide bone it was chewed - Answered by a verified Dog Specialist.
Hi Denise! The CET chews have been around awhile, and although they are made from high quality beef hide, the Hextra treats are still considered rawhide and can present a choking risk in some dogs. In my opinion, I prefer Greenies or Bright Bites (which are made from various types of flours plus gelatin). They break into small pieces when chewed that are easily swallowed and digested.
This has happened to me and many other people. Feeding the white and basted rawhide bones can cause your dog to choke to death. My dog swallowed a piece and it...
my dog swallowed a large chunk of rawhide bone it was chewed
My dog just swallowed a large chunk of a dentleys rawhide.
if anyone is here right now, maybe you could help me out. I beleive my dog just swallowed a piece of rawhide without chewing it properly. I'm not sure how big the piece was, it was a little bigger than a square inch when I looked at her chewing, and a little while later it was all gone...The rawhide products that seem to best fit my selection criteria are the “rolled” products, made from a square of rawhide that’s been rolled up like a newspaper and dried. As the owner of a big dog, I look for the longest rolls I can find, so they last as long as possible before they are chewed to a length that my dog could possibly swallow. Then I take them away. Owners of smaller dogs could probably start with shorter rolls, but what’s the point? The longer the roll, the longer it will last.As I write this, my Standard poodle, Charley, is chewing on a rawhide bone. Perhaps Charley and your dog have something in common. Their less likely to swallow big pieces and chew the rawhide well before swallowing.I'm new to the forum. We recently got a Golden Retriever puppy who is now 14 weeks old (20 lbs). Yesterday I gave her a flat rawhide chew (about 2-3" x 2-3") and she loved it. I completely know that you are only supposed to give rawhide when the dog is supervised. I was supervising her, but needed to get one of my kids a snack. I was even in the same room, but when I looked back over at the pup, I didn't see the rawhide!! I looked absolutely EVERYWHERE for the rawhide, but it's not to be found. I can only surmise that she ate it. This was yesterday at about 4:30 pm and it is now about 11:00 am. She has been eating, drinking, pooping, and acting completely normally. Should I be worried? There is no sign in her poop (sorry) of the rawhide. I've read horror stories online about death due to intestinal obstruction; the fact that swallowed rawhide can permanently prevent dog from reaching full weight, etc. etc. Does anyone know when I can stop worrying? Also, if I don't see any rawhide passing, what does that mean? Does the stomach acid completely dissolve it? BTW, this is rawhide called "American Rawhide", purchased at Petco. Never again!!